Thursday, January 14, 2010

Swap Angel Album

Hi, everyone! Welcome back to Life on the {Scrap}Beach! As you all know, I have a mini album swap group on my website called Trade Wind Scrappers. The swap operates very smoothly ~ much more smoothly than other swap groups I have been in ~ but there are still hiccups on occasion.

That is why I created the Swap Angels Guild {SAG, for short}. Swap Angels fly in after someone have been let down by their swap partner and make a mini to replace the mising mini. In return for their hard work, they will know that they are making someone's day by their generous actions.

I recently completed my first "Angel Album" which is for an October 2009 swap gone bad. It is a paperbag album that I bound with the Zutter Bind-It-All {which I hardly ever use anymore, so it felt good to break it out again} and filled with a bunch of tags. Since it was October, I used my Martha Stewart Halloween papers from Michael's:



I hope you enjoyed the mini, even if it isn't exactly the Halloween season right now! :D After all, we are scrapbookers and sometimes we are a little off in the season we are scrapping.

~Kathryn
Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

10 comments:

  1. It is a very nice job you have donne there! And the idea of Swap Angels is the best I've heard. Go go go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is sooo pretty!!! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOw kathryn i love the mini is beautiful ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is really a work of art so much attention to detail is very very pretty I love the last page with the "mummy" kitty and the crochet flowers everything !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Kathryn...that's one cute mini album. My son's all grown so I don't do Halloween pics anymore, but I wanted to do one when I saw this! Just very nicely done.

    I think I'll copy the general format of it for a mini of one of my summer activities (yup, I'm still scrappin' summer, sheesh!). As always, I get a ton of inspiration from your site. Thanks!

    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathryn I love the flowers on the page with the skeleton. Did you make them? Beautiful!! (they are the ones that are kind of grayish/tan with the pearl in the center). cute album!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, everyone! Thanks so much for your comments on my mini album. I kind of missed Halloween tis year because of the funeral, so it was fun to make this one now. :D

    Liz, I really liked the format of this album, and I think I might use it more often. Those are the little treat paperbags from the party section of Mchael's and they come in a wide variety of colors. So I can see red bags for Valentine's Day, etc.

    Joan, that flower is actually a Prima flower. I came in a pack with a pink one and it is a very light sage green. But I think putting it in this mini, the grey of the green became more porminent & the gauzy look took on a mummified bandage look and that's why it looks kind of dead and creepy. :D

    ~Kathryn
    Life's a beach. Scrapbook it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Kathryn, just Liz again and this time asking for your help on something. I know you've changed the color of loose-leaf metal rings for minis before and I tried it last night with an album I'm working on.

    I sanded the metal rings lightly and just applied some Tim Holtz alcohol ink in slate. The original color of the rings was the standard silver metal, and when I was done it was a dull silver, which is alright for my purpose, though I was shooting for a dull pewter-like finish. Apart from the marginal change in color, there were many spots that retained the shine.

    How do you color your rings? I've seen some scrappers color theirs even more dramatically, but I've nver seen anyone actually do it.

    Any tip will be much appreciated!

    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi again, Liz!

    I sand my rings heavily with a sanding sponge from the hardware store. I know I am done when they are cloudy looking, not shiny ~ almost like a brushed nickel finish. Then I really soak them in the lcohol ink. I put a tone of ink on the felt applicator and I go over and over the rings until they are totally covered.

    Now, this is pretty time cosuming, so I have developed this idea of using Krylon instead. They have lots of nice paints, including some very cool loking metalic finishes. I haven't actually tried the spray paint yet, but I will post about it on the blog when I do.

    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathryn - I finally read this post! I want to thank you again for my mini! I absolutely LOVE it! You Rock!

    ReplyDelete